- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The nearly five-minute look at the 20th Century Studios film shows 14th century knight Jean de Carrouges (Matt Damon) and his former squire Jacques Le Gris (Adam Driver) preparing for a fight to the death. The duel takes place after Carrouges’ wife (Jodie Comer) accuses Le Gris of rape.
While the two men are getting dressed and having their elaborate armor affixed to their bodies, a man stands in the middle of an arena, reading rules for the event, including that no one in the crowd is to be armed and that the duo in battle may not use weapons on which spells or curses have been laid.
With a screenplay penned by Damon, Nicole Holofcener and Ben Affleck, the film is based on the book The Last Duel: A True Story of Trial by Combat in Medieval France by Eric Jager. Affleck also appears in the film as Count Pierre d’Alençon.
The clip takes viewers up until the moment of impact during the pair’s joust to begin their bloody battle of revenge. Quick glimpses are also shown of other grand battles and moments that audiences have come to expect from the Gladiator filmmaker.
The Last Duel arrives in theaters Oct. 15.
Watch the clip below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day