- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
BERLIN – This Ain’t California, a documentary about the underground skater culture in communist East Germany from director Marten Persiel, has won the Dialogue en perspective prize at the 2012 Berlin Film Festival.
The doc, which combines found Super-8 footage with re-enacted scenes, recreates the world of skater rebels in the GDR. The Dialogue en perspective jury said it honored the film because “of its visual strength and the stylistic confidence of its editing. With gripping dynamics, it mixes personal history with the collective memory of the German Democratic Republic. We’ve rarely been so splendidly manipulated.”
The Dialogue en perspective prize, now in its seventh year, honors films screening at the Berlin film festival that, promote international dialogue, particularly a dialogue between young people in Germany and France.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day