- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Marvel Studios and Disney’s Thor: Ragnarok is tracking to open between a thunderous $90 million and $100 million in its North American debut over the Nov. 3-5 weekend.
The threequel, with Chris Hemsworth returning in the titular role, is directed by acclaimed New Zealand filmmaker Taika Waititi.
Thor: Ragnarok sees the Asgardian god team up with brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and pal Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) to fight the goddess of death, Hela, played by Cate Blanchett. Idris Elba and Anthony Hopkins also star.
If tracking is correct, Thor 3 will open ahead of the first Thor ($65.7 million) and Thor: The Dark World ($85.7 million), no small feat at a time when many franchise installments are struggling.
Thor: Ragnarok is the 17th title in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Combined, the films have grossed $12.6 billion at the global box office.
And in April, the debut of the first Thor: Ragnarok trailer smashed Disney and Marvel Studios’ records with more than 136 million views worldwide, ahead of both Beauty and the Beast (127 million) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens (112 million).
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Matilda the Musical