- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The third time was definitely a charm for Paranormal Activity 3, the latest edition in Paramount’s low budget, high-profit horror franchise. The film scared up the best opening of all time for a horror pic with $54 million in domestic grosses over the weekend of Oct. 22.
Paranormal 3 also did sizeable business overseas, where it opened to $26 million for a worldwide total of $80 million –16 times the film’s $5 million production budget.
But despite those impressive numbers, Paranormal Activity 3 hasn’t even cracked the Top 15 for top-grossing threequels of all time. That list is dominated by big-budget blockbusters from the Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter franchises.
Family and kids’ movies also fared well on the list, with Toy Story 3 and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs making their mark.
The most successful threequel of all time? Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which grossed $1,119,241,043 worldwide.
The complete list of Top 15 grossing threequels can be read here.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day