- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jennifer Connelly might be taking a ride on the highway to the danger zone.
The actress, who won an Oscar for 2001’s A Beautiful Mind, is in early negotiations to join Tom Cruise in Paramount and Skydance’s Top Gun sequel, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Cruise is reprising his role as hotshot Navy pilot Maverick in the sequel to the 1986 movie that is being directed by Joseph Kosinski. Kosinski directed the actor in his sci-fi thriller, Oblivion. Jerry Bruckheimer will produce.
The movie recently cast Miles Teller as the son of Goose, Maverick’s wingman, played by Anthony Edwards in the original movie. That role was the big get of the season for Hollywood’s young male actors.
If a deal makes, Connelly will play the movie’s female lead — a single mother who runs a local bar near the Navy base.
The movie is on the runway for a September start of production in San Diego.
Connelly, whose credits range from The Rocketeer to Dark City to Noah, recently appeared in Kosinski’s firefighter drama, Only the Brave, and will be seen in Fox’s Alita: Battle Angel, which opens December.
She is repped by CAA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day