- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
On Monday — its 18th day in release — the Paramount and Skydance movie passed up Marvel and Disney’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness to become the top-grossing domestic film of 2022 so far, with $401.8 million in ticket sales through Monday.
Marvel’s Doctor Strange 2 presently rests at $398.1 million.
There’s more. Top Gun: Maverick is now the No. 2 film of the pandemic era domestically after Spider-Man: No Way Home ($573 million) and by far the most successful outside of the superhero genre.
And Top Gun: Maverick earned $51.9 million over the June 10-12 weekend, the fifth-biggest gross for any film in its third outing behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($90 million), Black Panther ($66 million), Spider-Man: No Way Home ($56 million) and Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($52.5 million).
The movie came in No. 2 over the June 10-12 weekend behind new entry Jurassic World Dominion, which opened to a pleasing $145.1 million.
Jurassic World Dominion also topped Monday’s chart with $12.8 million. Top Gun followed with $6.6 million.
Maverick now stands as Cruise’s biggest film domestically. It has a shot at nearing $500 million domestically and $1 billion globally.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day