- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Populations’s first two films are I Carry You With Me from director Heidi Ewing and Sony Pictures Classics, and Swallow from director Carlo Mirabella-Davis and IFC Films.
The first look deal expands ties between Topic Studios and Louie, who are jointly working on a scripted limited TV drama series.
The deal also comes amid an award season campaign for Zhao’s Nomadland from Searchlight Pictures, a movie that was produced by Asher and earned top prizes at Venice and Toronto. Before launching The Population, Louie, Asher and Nguyen worked together at the women director-focused film fund Gamechanger Films, which Louie ran.
“We couldn’t be more excited and thrilled to collaborate with the gifted storytellers of The Population. We look forward to partnering with the accomplished trio of Mynette Louie, Mollye Asher, and Derek Nguyen to bring many very special projects to life,” Maria Zuckerman, executive vp at Topic Studios, said in a statement.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Jon M. Chu