- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Paramount’s blockbuster Transformers: Dark of the Moon is being re-released in Imax theaters for an extended two-week run, beginning Friday.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon: An IMAX 3D Experience has been digitally remastered with proprietary IMAX technology.
Michael Bay, who has directed all three Transformer pics, hinted over the weekend on his online forum that Paramount was considering waging another Imax run. Sources confirm that Imax will indeed re-release the film.
Dark of the Moon has been a runaway success at the worldwide box office, grossing $1.1 billion through Sunday, including $348.5 million at the domestic box office and $747 million overseas.
According to insiders, Dark of the Moon will play in 246 Imax theaters in North America from Aug. 26 to Sept. 8. During those two weeks, the film will play simultaneously with other movies already booked by Imax.
Director James Cameron and 20th Century Fox did much the same thing with Avatar. Cameron helped convince Bay, who once derided 3D, that the medium was right for the third Transformers film.
Dark of the Moon, written by Ehren Kruger, was produced by Don Murphy, Tom DeSanto, Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Ian Bryce. Steven Spielberg, Bay, Brian Goldner and Mark Vahradian are executive producers.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day