- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Open Road Films has picked U.S. rights to Tupac, the biopic of rapper Tupac Shakur that will be directed by John Singleton, the company announced Wednesday.
Morgan Creek Productions and Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films are producing and financing the project, which has yet to be cast.
Tupac is scheduled to shoot in late summer 2014 in Atlanta, Los Angeles and New York. Open Road plans to release the film wide in over 2,000 theaters.
The script tells of Shakur’s rise to superstardom in the late ’80s and ’90s, his violence-soaked music, the rivalry with other rappers and the feud between hip-hop artists on both coasts, and ultimately his fateful shooting in Las Vegas in 1996.
Jeremy Haft and Ed Gonzalez worked on the script, as did Singleton.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Super Mario Bros.
Samuel L. Jackson