- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Liam Neeson actioner Taken 3 retained its lead in its second week, securing $5 million, while American Sniper fired short with $3.8 million. Fellow multiple Academy Award nominee The Theory of Everything clung onto third with $3.5 million after three weeks. Into the Woods slipped two spots to fourth, earning $3 million.
The almost Tolkien-esque war between The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies and Paddington continued into its sixth week. This round, however, went to the Peruvian bear, who has now notched up eight weeks in the top five, with the flim’s total U.K. earnings now standing at an impressive $51.6 million.
Elsewhere, there was space for three other new entries in the top 10. Whiplash snared sixth with $870,000, while the Reese Witherpsoon-starring Wild brought home $800,00 for ninth position. The 10th spot went to the event cinema screening of The Metropolitan Opera’s adaptation of The Merry Widow.
An interesting omission from the list was Foxcatcher, which despite a decent haul of nominations from both the Oscars and BAFTAs slipped out of the top 10 after just one week.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Zar Amir Ebrahimi
Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey
Your Place or Mine