- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, the sequel to 2012’s unexpected comedy smash that tells the story of a group of British retirees – led by octogenarians Judi Dench and Maggie Smith – who choose to live out the rest of their lives in India, took to the crown in its opening weekend.
The film earned $5.8 million, easily surpassing Fifty Shades’ third weekend takings of $3.5 million, although this did bring its total haul to $46.6 million so far.
Family titles Big Hero 6 ($1.9 million) and Shaun the Sheep Movie ($1.6 million) completed the top five.
The Jennifer Lopez-fronted thriller The Boy Next Door and critically acclaimed teen horror It Follows were the top 10’s only other new entries, landing in seventh and eighth spots, respectively. Neither managed to pass the $1 million mark.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Tonight Show