- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Longtime Universal exec Scott Bernstein is exiting the studio to become an independent producer.
Bernstein, whose current title is exec vp production, leaves the company with several birds in the hand, as he will serve in a producer capacity on a trio of Universal’s projects: music biopic Straight Outta Compton, action comedy Ride Along 2, and Mama 2, the sequel to the horror movie produced by Guillermo del Toro. They are projects he had previously been overseeing and developing.
Insiders say that after 10 years at the company, Bernstein was ready to change course and had discussions with co-presidents of production, Peter Cramer and Jeffrey Kirschenbaum.
Bernstein came to Universal in 2004, rising through the ranks working on comedies and genre movies. He was named senior vp production in 2007 and has acted as exec vp since 2009.
Movies that he has overseen development on range from Identity Thief to Role Models to the upcoming Ouija.
He started as a production exec at Revolution Studios, where he shepherded Hellboy and The Forgotten.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day