- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The screenplay, written by Greengrass (the Bourne films, United 93) and Luke Davies (Lion), is based on the National Book Award finalist and best-selling novel of the same name by Paulette Jiles.
Set five years after the end of the Civil War, the film follows Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd (Hanks, who previously starred in Greengrass’ Captain Phillips), a veteran of three wars, who now moves from town to town as a non-fiction storyteller. In Texas, he crosses paths with Johanna (Helena Zengel, System Crasher), a 10-year-old taken in by the Kiowa people six years earlier and raised as one of their own. The pair embark on a journey when Kidd agrees to deliver the child where the law says she belongs.
For News of the World, Greengrass teamed for the first time with DP Dariusz Wolski, a frequent collaborator of Ridley Scott’s. And he retimed with his 22 July editor William Goldenberg (Oscar winner for Argo). The film’s music is written by eight-time Academy Award nominee James Newton Howard.
The film is produced by Gary Goetzman, Gail Mutrux and Gregory Goodman and executive produced by Steven Shareshian and Tore Schmidt.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Warner Bros. Discovery