- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Universal and Illumination Entertainment have titled their upcoming song contest-themed animated feature Sing.
The Hollywood Reporter exclusively reported in January that Matthew McConaughey would top line the voice cast on the film. Universal has added A-list voice talents of Reese Witherspoon, Seth MacFarlane, Scarlett Johansson, John C. Reilly, Taron Egerton and Tori Kelly for the feature.
The anthropomorphic film, slated to hit theaters on Dec. 21, 2016, tells the story of Buster Moon (McConaughey), a theater-owning koala who has fallen on hard times. Buster attempts to reverse his fortunes by holding the world’s greatest singing competition, with five contestants in particular vying for the crown. MacFarlane plays a crooning mouse, Kelly a teen elephant with bad stage fright, Witherspoon a pig with a huge brood, Egerton a gangster gorilla and Johansson a punk-rock porcupine.
Universal says Sing will feature 85 hit songs.
Sing will follow Universal and Illumination’s summer 2016 release The Secret Life of Pets and will be directed by Garth Jennings (Son of Rambow, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy) and produced by Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day