- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Val Kilmer is going international for his next project.
Kilmer has signed on to star in 1st Born, a comedy from Iranian director Ali Atshani. The project centers on a newlywed couple, Iran-born Ben and his American wife, Kate, who are living in California. When there’s a complication with Kate’s first pregnancy, both Ben’s and Kate’s families must come together — a rather complicated notion as Ben’s father, Hamid, is an anti-American Iranian politician, while Kate’s father, Biden (played by Kilmer), is an American politician who takes a hardline stance against Iran.
1st Born is notable for being the first joint feature film co-production between Iran and Hollywood, using a cast and crew from both the U.S. and the Middle East.
Kilmer is known for roles in Top Gun, Batman Forever, Heat,Tombstone and other hits. Atshani has established himself as a top filmmaker in Iran, helming films such as The President’s Cell Phone, Wishbone, Banana Peel, Mr. Alef and Negar’s Role. His 2016 film Paradise was a co-production between Iran and Germany.
LA Independent Film and Entertainment, based in Hollywood, will produce. Sam Khoze is producing with a team including producer Edwin Avaness and associate producer in Iran Pourya Naserbakht. Khoze, Tarek Zohdy and Medhi
Alimirzayi wrote the script.