- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
VENICE, Italy – Lindsay Lohan is a no-show at the Venice International Film Festival, where she was expected to promote the erotic thriller The Canyons.
Director Paul Schrader told a news conference that he was “a free man,” adding: “For the last 16 months I’ve been hostage, by my own choosing, to a very talented but unpredictable actress.”
Neither Schrader nor Lohan’s publicist gave a reason for the last-minute cancellation.
PHOTOS: Lindsay Lohan Through the Years
Lohan plays an L.A. actress who, with her partner, a producer played by adult-film actor James Deen, engages in erotic encounters with couples found on the Internet. The movie premieres in competition Friday.
Schrader said Lohan “stepped up very hard” for the role.
Lohan, 27, has been plagued in recent years by legal and substance abuse problems. She completed her latest court-ordered stay in rehab in July.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day