- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
San Francisco’s unfortunate blockbuster summer continues with the release of the second trailer for Matt Reeves’ Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, as war breaks out between man and ape, with the city by the bay being home to the front line.
The new trailer for the movie introduces the main players in the follow-up to 2011’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Gary Oldman’s grief-stricken Dreyfus, who blames the apes for the virus that decimated humanity a decade earlier; Jason Clarke’s optimistic Malcolm, who wants to bring about a lasting peace between ape and man; and, of course, Andy Serkis’ grim ape leader Caesar.
Also glimpsed in the trailer are Kodi Smit-McPhee, Keri Russell, Kirk Acevedo and, thanks to a cellphone video from the previous movie, James Franco.
As war between the two races erupts, the trailer shows apes advancing through the streets of San Francisco, continuing this summer’s unlikeliest trend of the California city being decimated by science fiction movies. (Godzilla, we’re blaming you for this one; where is Tony Bennett going to leave his heart now?)
Dawn of Planet of the Apes opens on July 11.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
West Side Story