- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Virtual and augmented reality startup Within has raised $40 million in series B funding, led by Temasek and Emerson Collective.
New investors also include WPP and Macro Ventures with participation from existing investors Andreessen Horowitz, 21st Century Fox and Raine Ventures. To date, the company has raised a total of $56.6 million.
“With the new wave of growth surrounding emerging formats like AR, there’s a tremendous amount of momentum in the industry right now,” Within’s co-founder and CEO Chris Milk said Wednesday in a released statement. “However, the biggest challenge that the industry is facing is the lack of access to compelling experiences for consumers. With incredible investment partners, we now have the opportunity to tackle this issue and accelerate getting technically complex, but emotionally powerful, immersive experiences to the public at large.”
Within’s work includes Life of Us, a VR experience that recently debuted at Imax VR Experience Centres through a partnership with Imax. The piece — a multi-user exploration of the evolution on Earth — was created by Milk and Aaron Koblin, produced in partnership with Megan Ellison through her Annapurna Pictures and scored by Pharrell Williams.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Venice Film Festival