- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Call them the Wachowski Starship.
Andy and Lana Wachowski, the visionary directing duo behind The Matrix Trilogy and the upcoming Cloud Atlas, realize that their old monicker — the catchy “Wachowski Brothers” — no longer applies, now that the former Larry Wachowski has successfully transitioned to female.
But “Wachowski Siblings” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.
So Andy introduced the pair as “Wachowski Starship” at Tuesday’s Fantastic Fest screening of Cloud Atlas at Austin’s Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, according to a tweet from Devin Faraci of Badass Digest.
The name references rock band Jefferson Starship, who began as Jefferson Airplane in the 1960s and changed their name after retooling their lineup and sound in the 1970s. The band eventually dropped the “Jefferson” entirely in the 1980s over a legal dispute with the departing Paul Kantner.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Green Knight
Sir Anthony Hopkins