- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
CORRECTED: An earlier version of this story incorrectly titled the script Second Son.
Warner Bros. has picked up Second Sun, a sci-fi spec script from newcomer Justin Rhodes that has Scott Aversano attached to produce.
Rhodes worked in the low-budget film world editing shorts, and in 2009 he wrote and directed a low-budget action movie called Contract Killers. Focusing on writing, he penned a well-regarded script that got him representation with ICM and manager Kevin Donahue.
In between supporting himself and his family by working at his dad’s accounting firm, he then set about writing his next project, Second Sun. ICM hooked him up with Aversano, the former Nickelodeon president-turned-producer (The Last Airbender, the upcoming Safe House), who was looking for something in the genre, and the producer helped Rhodes further develop Sun.
Last week, Warners preemptively bought it. The studio is keeping the logline under wraps but sources say the story is an adventure set on another planet with twists.
Warners creative exec Chris Gary brought the project in. Sarah Schechter will oversee.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Universal Music Group