- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Craig Brewer, the director best known for Hustle & Flow, is helming the project. Kevin Misher is producing via his Misher Films banner, along with Kenya Barris and Murphy.
The original film saw Murphy play Prince Akeem, a spoiled prince from the fictional African nation of Zamunda, who arrives in Queens, New York, and in undercover fashion gets a job at a McDonald’s knockoff while trying to find a wife.
The new story sees Akeem returning to America in order to find his long-lost son. Arsenio Hall is already on board to reprise his role as Akeem’s best friend. Snipes will play a new character, General Izzi, a man who rules a neighboring nation. A fall start is being eyed.
Coming 2 America will represent a reteaming of Snipes with both Murphy and Brewer. The trio collaborated on Dolemite Is My Name, a biopic of comedian Rudy Ray Moore that is set to premiere next month at the Toronto International Film Festival.
Snipes, perhaps best known for such films as Blade, White Men Can’t Jump and New Jack City, is also starring in and executive producing the indie action thriller Payline. He is repped by APA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day