- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Writer/director James Gunn and Marvel know how to get the most fun out of their comic book adaptations. Just see Guardians of the Galaxy as proof.
Rival studio DC, however, has taken a decidedly different tact.
That’s what makes this new, darker fan-made trailer for the 2014 Guardians film so jarring. The exuberantly colorful and charming trailer to Gunn’s mega-hit adaptation underscored by classic rock tracks was recut by YouTuber Exploring the Internet with dark color-grading, a foreboding choral soundtrack and serious emotional tones that have become a hallmark of the DC Extended Universe.
Highlighting the most violent and emotional scenes from the film, such as villain Ronin’s execution of a restrained Xandarian with an enormous mallet or the tragic death of Peter Quill’s mother at the start of the film, the new trailer gives off a much different vibe than the original. “They will bathe the starways in your blood,” Thanos grumbles — a significantly darker catch phrase than the original’s “I am Groot.”
Check out the fan-made trailer below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Behind The Screen