- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Robbie is portraying the fashion-forward doll, topping a call sheet whose names range from Ryan Gosling and Simu Liu to Kate McKinnon and Alexandra Shipp to Emma Mackey and America Ferrera.
Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach wrote the script for the project, with Gerwig directing. Production is already underway.
Plot details are being kept in a Malibu dream house, but sources indicate that there is a meta aspect to the proceedings. Ferrell is said to be playing the CEO of a toy company that may or not be Mattel.
On top of acting, Robbie is producing the project via her LuckyChap banner alongside LuckyChap’s Tom Ackerley. Mattel Films’ Robbie Brenner and Paddington producer David Heyman are also producing.
Barbie will mark Ferrell’s first feature outing since 2020’s Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, made by Netflix. He recently appeared in Apple TV’s black comedy The Shrink Next Door with Paul Rudd.
He is repped by UTA, Mosaic and Jackoway Austen.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day