- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The pair, along with long-time business partner James Lassiter, have sold the Untitled Romeo Project, with singer Anthony “Romeo” Santos tapped to star.
The project, which hails from ABC Studios and their Overbrook Entertainment, centers on a charasmatic Dominican-American (Romeo) from Washington Heights, who tries to please his very traditional, immigrant father while also creating a life that reflects his new vision of the American Dream. (While the character differs significantly from the singer’s real life, the father-son relationship is reminiscent of Romeo’s with his father.)
Chris Pappas and Mike Bernier (Unhitched, One Night Stan) will serve as writers and executive producers on the project, with the Smiths and Lassiter attached as non-writing executive producers.
If ultimately ordered to series, it would join a growing cadre of Smith projects, including films The Karate Kid and The Secret Life of Bees, along with Broadway’s Fela! and TNT’s since-canceled Hawthorne.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day