- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The film is described as a contemporary musical take on William Shakespeare’s tragedy set against the urban rhythms of New York. The love story follows a young waitress from the streets of Brooklyn and an aspiring musician from a wealthy family whose unconventional romance forces them to confront their life choices.
Solvan “Slick” Naim, who is behind the streamer’s upcoming series It’s Bruno, will direct from a script he wrote with Dave Broome.
Latifah and Shakim Compere will produce via their Flavor Unit Entertainment banner, along with Broome and Yong Yam for 25/7 Productions. Smith will act as an executive producer under his Overbrook Entertainment, with James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett.
Naim’s other directing credits include episodes of Baz Luhrman’s The Get Down, Starz’s Power and FX’s Snowfall. He is repped by CAA, Fourth Wall Management and Ziffren Brittenham.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day