- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The film will serve as Me and Earl and the Dying Girl‘s Alfonso Gomez-Rejon’s next film, and centers on a New York advertising exec (Smith) who experiences a deep personal tragedy. His colleagues devise an unconventional plan to break him out of his depression — which works — but not in a way that anyone imagined.
Smith will take on the lead role that Hugh Jackman recently exited. Rooney Mara is also starring.
Allan Loeb wrote the script. The PalmStar Media and Likely Story project is produced by Anonymous Content’s Michael Sugar and Bard Dorros, along with Loeb. Palmstar CEO Kevin Frakes will executive produce with Anthony Bregman of Likely Story and Steven Pearl. Smith’s Overbrook is coming on to co-produce.
Principal photography is slated to begin in the fall, with PalmStar co-producing and fully financing the project. CAA will represent the domestic rights in conjunction with WME.
Smith recently starred in Focus. His upcoming films include Warner Bros.’ big villain ensemble film Suicide Squad and the NFL drama Concussion. He’s repped by CAA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day