- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Zhang Yimou is directing the feature that is a pet project of Legendary CEO Thomas Tull, who conceived it with World War Z writer Max Brooks.
It is eyeing an April start in China.
Damon, who is in final negotiations, will star as a soldier who is part of a group of mercenaries traveling to China in order to bring back gunpowder to Europe. When the group is attacked by mystical beasts, the man finds himself in a war between a secret warrior clan and the beasts.
Dafoe’s character role is being kept under wraps.
Dafoe is coming off a banner year, that started with by being part of the ensemble of Wes Anderson’s Oscar-nominated film The Grand Budapest Hotel. Appearing in the hit weepie The Fault In Our Stars and A Most Wanted Man followed, then he capped it off with a turn in John Wick, the fan-favorite Keanu Reeves action movie.
He is repped by CAA and Circle of Confusion.
Feb. 12 6:55. A previous version of this story said Dafoe was playing a soldier who survives with Damon.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day