- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Petersen will be teaming up with four of Germany’s biggest stars — Til Schweiger, Matthias Schweighofer, Michael “Bully” Herbig and Jan Josef Liefers — for the film, which Warner Bros. Germany will produce together with Hellinger Doll Filmproduktion.
The film is a remake of the 1976 TV movie Vier Gegen Die Bank, which Petersen directed for German public broadcaster ARD. Based on the 1972 novel The Nixon Recession Caper by Ralph Maloney, the original followed four successful businessmen who find themselves out of work as the result of a recession. Worried they will have to give up their standard of living, they decide to rob a bank to keep themselves in Mercedes and golf memberships.
The remake will mark Petersen’s first German-language film since Das Boot in 1981. The World War II drama earned Petersen two Oscar nominations, for best director and best adapted screenplay, and launched his Hollywood career. Shooting on the new feature is expected to begin next year.
Petersen’s last film was the poorly-received Poseidon in 2006, a remake of the 1972 classic The Poseidon Adventure.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Your Place or Mine