- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bayona had to drop out of the project due to other commitments, Paramount said in a statement.
“Because of pre-existing film commitments, Bayona is not able to make World War Z this year, and it is our ambition to do so. He is a wonderful director, and we hope to work with him soon,” the statement read.
Bayona, who last directed 2012’s tsunami drama The Impossible, signed on to direct the World War Z sequel last month.
The first film, based on Max Brooks’ novel, was one of 2013’s surprise summer hits, grossing $202 million domestically and $540 million worldwide for the studio and Skydance. Marc Forster was the director.
The original film was said to have numerous headaches and setbacks during production, including weeks of re-shoots and revisions to the entire third act.
Screenwriter Steven Knight, whose credits include Eastern Promises and the Tom Hardy drama Locke, closed a deal to pen the sequel.
The film is set to hit theaters June 9, 2017.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day