- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Stepping into a comic book villain’s shoes isn’t easy — and that was true for Olivia Munn in X-Men: Apocalypse.
She had the daunting task of becoming an expert fighter with her character Psylocke’s sword, a challenge she tackled with intense training, as is chronicled in bonus materials for the film’s home entertainment release, which Heat Vision is debuting exclusively.
“A lot of stunts she wanted to do herself, so she trained very heavily in martial arts and in sword fighting and all kinds of things,” director Bryan Singer says in the clip.
Munn had never worked with swords before but devoted herself to the task, added boxing, tae kwon do and karate to her regimen.
“When I’m not on set, I have about six, six-and-a-half hours of a constant workout,” says Munn.
Her work ethic was enough to impress fellow Apocalypse ally Michael Fassbender (Magneto), who says, “She’s been working nonstop since she arrived.”
Visual effects designer John Dykstra also sheds light on just how Psylocke’s psionic blade functions. There are principles of science governing how it works, as he explains in the video.
X-Men: Apocalypse is available on Digital HD now and hits Blu-ray, 4K UHD and DVD on Oct. 4.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day