- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Twentieth Century Fox’s X-Men spinoff Gambit has found its director.
Rupert Wyatt, who directed Fox’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes, will direct the comic book movie that has Channing Tatum attached to star, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
The project is one of the studio’s priorities and has a release date of Oct. 7, 2016.
Josh Zetumer penned the script for the film, which is being produced by Tatum, Reid Carolin, Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg.
Gambit, a mutant with the ability to harness kinetic energy, is one of the more recently-created X-characters (created in 1990 by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee) but quickly established himself as a fan favorite. He is also a thief and hailed from New Orleans, often speaking in a Cajun accent.
Wyatt, repped by UTA and Gang Tyre, last directed Paramount’s remake of The Gambler that starred Mark Wahlberg.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day