- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“We want to make it badass,” he told Seth Meyers on Tuesday’s Late Night. “That’s what Dwayne [Johnson] wants — he’s so cool, he’s like the coolest dude in the world. I’m gonna have to keep up with that guy!”
The long-developing project will be directed by Seth Gordon and will likely start production in February 2016.
The story centers on a by-the-book and very serious lifeguard (Johnson) who is forced to team up with a young rule-flouting hothead (Efron) in order to save their beach from environmental destruction at the hands of an oil tycoon. Damian Shannon and Mark Swift wrote the most recent draft.
And he admitted he wasn’t necessarily cast for his personal attachment to the internationally beloved show. “I have vague memories of it being on TV — I remember Pamela Anderson. I can kind of remember David Hasselhoff.” Efron said, laughing with Meyers about the series’ signature slow-motion running.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day