- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Zazie Beetz is moving from absurd superheroics to a supervillain character drama.
Phoenix is portraying the DC Comics villain in a film that is more moderately budgeted and darker than the studio’s other DC-based movies, known as the DC Cinematic Universe. The project is also described as more of a dark character study than a crime thriller, with Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy as the tonal watchwords.
While details of the Phillips- and Scott Silver-penned script are being kept under wraps, if a deal is made, Beetz would play a single mother who catches the interest of the man who will become the “clown prince of crime.”
Joker is due to begin shooting in September in New York. The studio has set an Oct. 4, 2019, release date.
Beetz gained notices for her breakout work on FX’s Donald Glover-led series Atlanta. The show trampolined her into high-profile movie roles, including the Deadpool sequel and Fox Searchlight’s upcoming Noah Hawley sci-fi drama starring Natalie Portman. The actress also has Steven Soderbergh’s High Flying Bird in postproduction.
Beetz is repped by Gersh.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Lisa Marie Presley