- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Just before its North American premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, Astra Taylor’s documentary What Is Democracy? has been picked up for U.S. distribution by Zeitgeist Films.
Zeitgeist plans to open the National Film Board of Canada movie at New York’s IFC Center in January, followed by a wider domestic release.
What Is Democracy? investigates the origins and meaning of the political system just as the proliferation of authoritarianism appears to be undermining democracy worldwide.
Taylor, who wrote the screenplay and directed, will see her latest doc screen first on Sept. 11 in Toronto, after a world premiere at the Sheffield Doc/Fest in England.
Her earlier films Zizek! and Examined Life also screened at TIFF. The National Film Board is handling foreign sales for What Is Democracy?
This year’s Toronto International Film Festival is set to run Sept. 6-16.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day