- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Zhang Ziyi, the international star of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, has joined Legendary and Warner Bros.’ creature feature Godzilla: King of the Monsters.
But wait — that’s not all. The deal calls for the actress to join not just that movie but to figure prominently in their Monsterverse, what the studios are calling their monster-based cinematic universe.
Zhang will first appear in the sequel to 2014’s Godzilla, joining Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga and Millie Bobby Brown in the follow-up that is set several years after the events of the original pic.
Michael Dougherty is directing from a script by Dougherty and Zach Shields.
The actress will then appear in other monster installments, including Godzilla vs Kong, as her character is a key figure in the covert, creature-cataloging Monarch organization established in those films.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters is set to be released March 22, 2019. Godzilla vs Kong is slated to bow in 2020.
Zhang, who also appeared in Chinese-language hits Hero and House of Flying Daggers, recently wrapped production on a sci-fi thriller produced by J.J. Abrams that is connected to his Cloverfield movies.
She is repped by ICM Partners and Mosaic.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day