- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A24’s Zola dramedy has dropped a new trailer that’s as predictably wild as the epic stripper saga set in Florida’s flesh trade from writer-director Janicza Bravo and which stars Taylour Paige and Riley Keough.
Zola, which debuted at Sundance in 2020, is finally reaching theaters this summer and the official trailer sees Paige as the titular Zola and Keough as Stefani as they set out on a girlfriend weekend of dancing and partying in Florida with a nameless pimp, an idiot boyfriend and some Tampa gangsters that soon descends into a sex trafficking nightmare.
Hustlers, by contrast, is tame family entertainment. “Y’all wanna hear a story about why me & this bitch here fell out? It’s kind of long but full of suspense,” says Zola in a voiceover early on the trailer for the female-driven pic.
The movie’s hellish 48-hour journey of “hoeism” sprang from a 2015 viral barrage of 144 tweets in which Detroit waitress and exotic dancer A’Ziah King, aka Zola (@_zolarmoon), shared details of a nightmarish Florida road trip.
Zola, from Killer Films, Ramona Films and Gigi Films and to be released by A24, also stars Nicholas Braun, Colman Domingo, Ari’el Stachel, Jason Mitchell and Sophie Hall.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Zar Amir Ebrahimi
Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey
Your Place or Mine