- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Saturday, March 3
Nickelodeon 10 a.m.
Nickelodeon’s new animated kids series, “El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera,” which follows the comings and goings of a well-meaning 13-year-old named Manny, is pumped up with color, lights, fast action and a hip sensibility — well, hip if you go to elementary school. It’s rather mindless at its core, but kids might not notice if all the jazzy spectacle gets to them first.
The fictional locale is Miracle City, and it’s brimming with striking colors and the hoopla of a crossover between a spaghetti Western and Latino folk art. The husband-wife team of creators Jorge R. Gutierrez and Sandra Equihua have infused the series with an amazing kind of nonstop energy, and it’s all so frenetic it makes the world outside the television screen seem almost sleepy. This might not be a good thing, but at least our hero and his sister Frida are having fun, chasing bad guys (they inherit some superpowers, of course, the way all cool animated characters must these days) and generally saving the world for a glorious (and very loud) future. It’s fun but furious. The series’ regular time slot is 10:30 a.m. Saturdays.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day