- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
KCET Los Angeles
9 p.m. Monday
PBS’ stunning new series “Simon Schama’s Power of Art” mixes history with pleasure as internationally acclaimed scholar and writer Simon Schama takes us on a mindful cruise into the imaginations of some of the world’s best-known artists. In-depth always, as much painful as instructive, the series is a first-rate example of what PBS does best.
Schama glides us through the mind and artfulness of eight artists: Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Michelangelo, Bernini, Rembrandt van Rijn, Jacques-Louis David, J.M.W. Turner and Mark Rothko. Each artist gets an hour episode devoted to him, his work and his often (but not always) tortured imagination. Mixing dramatic re-enactments, location shooting and splendid art photography (the series’ highlight), Schama literally sails into their minds. The works stand out, of course, in this powerful look at our great masters.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day