- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Fifty Shades phenomenon shows no signs of slowing down.
The first trailer for the erotic drama based on the best-selling EL James novel has racked up a stunning 36.4 million YouTube views since its release on July 24, according to technology firm Zefr, which tracks the numbers.
Fifty Shades had the best opening week for any trailer in 2014. The previous high was the 31 million views Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles got in its debut frame at the end of March. Godzilla and Transformers: Age of Extinction both notched 26.3 million views in their first weeks, while Dumb and Dumber Too did 23.5 million.
Transformers, which was released on June 27, has grossed about $966 million worldwide. Godzilla, which was released on May 16, has grossed about $498 million worldwide to date. TMNT hits theaters on Aug. 8, while Dumb and Dumber Too opens Nov. 14.
The Fifty Shades trailer was released so it could play before Lucy, the new action movie starring Scarlett Johansson.
Fifty Shades arrives in theaters Feb. 13, 2015 to take advantage of Valentine’s Day weekend.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Venice Film Festival
Raising Our Voices