- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Star Wars fans welcomed Chewie back into their homes in droves.
The second trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens received 30.65 million views during its first 24 hours on YouTube, according to technology firm ZEFR, which tracks the numbers.
Still, it’s got big shoes to fill. The first The Force Awakens trailer went on to set a first-week record of 58.2 million views after debuting the day after Thanksgiving. To date, the first trailer has received 105.56 million views.
It’s difficult to make a direct comparison, but the latest Star Wars trailer could not top Furious 7‘s huge first 24 hours, when it notched 62 million views after debuting on Facebook. That trailer received a boost thanks to appearing on the movie’s official page, as well as the pages of Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Dwayne Johnson, Tyrese Gibson and the late Paul Walker.
As far as debut-week views on YouTube, the first teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens (58.2 million) holds the record, followed by Avengers: Age of Ultron (50.6 million) and Fifty Shades of Grey (36.4 million).
ZEFR takes into account not just views from the film’s official YouTube channel, but also views from unofficial uploads.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Venice Film Festival
Raising Our Voices