Anne Heche Says Harvey Weinstein Fired Her After She Rejected Him

Getty Images
Anne Heche

"The repercussions of standing up for yourself were as deep and targeted as some of the scars of the women who actually got more physically, unfortunately, involved," the actress said.

After more than 60 women have come forward with stories of sexual misconduct involving Harvey Weinstein, Anne Heche is alleging that he fired her from a Miramax project after she rejected oral sex with him. 

When Heche was asked on the podcast Allegedly With Theo Von & Matthew Cole Weiss on Tuesday why more women didn't come forward with allegations against Weinstein before October, the Brave actress shared her own story: "First of all, you were threatened the second you walk out the door. I did not suck Harvey's dick, though he showed it to me, and I got out of the room before there was any physical contact. The fact is that I was fired from a job that I had been hired for at Miramax. The repercussions of standing up for yourself were as deep and targeted as some of the scars of the women who actually got more physically, unfortunately, involved."

Heche went on to say that she felt many of the women Weinstein allegedly targeted were "girls" who didn't have traditional support systems. "Young actresses are first of all very vulnerable, a lot of us come from hurt backgrounds, abusive backgrounds. ... If I wasn't sexually abused as a child, I don't know if I would have had the strength to stand up to Harvey and many others," she said. "You didn't have different avenues, you're an actress, you've come to L.A., you're on your own, you're alone. You don't have friends that are able to talk to, that's what he takes advantage of, that isolated, vulnerable girl, and that's why every one of us was 19 or 20 or 21 or 22. He didn't go after the 40-year-old woman."

Heche noted that Weinstein was not the only one to make inappropriate advances to her while in the workplace, but that she thought that sexual misconduct got "a kick in the pants the last few months."

Weinstein has denied all accusations of non-consensual sex. He is under investigation by authorities in New York, Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and London.

In response to Heche's comments, a spokesperson on behalf of Weinstein said: "While Ms. Heche and Mr. Weinstein were friendly, he denies these claims as nothing more than an attempt to pile on to the current conversation. Mr. Weinstein denies Ms. Heche’s allegations and has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances."

Jan. 25, 3:20 p.m. Updated to include statement from Weinstein spokesperson.