Beatles 'Help!' Comes to Blu-Ray
Beatles fans: Help! will be here soon. Nearly 48 years after its theatrical release, the Fab Four’s second feature film will be issued on the Blu-ray format this June with a stack of extra material.
The Blu-ray edition of Help! will carry the digitally-restored film and 5.1 soundtrack plus an hour of extra features, including a 30-minute documentary on the making of the film, memories of the cast and crew, an in-depth look at the restoration process, an outtake scene, and original theatrical trailers and radio spots.
Also, there’s an introduction by the 1965 film’s director, Richard Lester, and an appreciation by Martin Scorsese included in the Blu-ray disc’s booklet.
The Blu-ray version is slated to arrive June 21 in Australia, June 24 in Europe and June 25 in North America, the band announced today via the official Beatles Website.
Help! was restored for its 2007 DVD release, which earned five-times platinum sales in the U.S., according to EMI.
The forthcoming Help! Blu-ray edition follows the 2012 release of The Beatles’ digitally-restored Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour films on Blu-ray, DVD and iTunes.
Extras on the Blu-ray release of Help!:
- “The Beatles in Help!” – a 30-minute documentary about the making of the film with Richard Lester, the cast and crew, including exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of The Beatles on-set.
- “A Missing Scene” – a film outtake, featuring Wendy Richard.
- “The Restoration of Help!” – an in-depth look at the restoration process.
- “Memories of Help!” – the cast and crew reminisce.
- 1965 Theatrical Trailers – two original U.S. trailers and one original Spanish trailer.
- 1965 U.S. Radio Spots (hidden in disc menus).