Bill Cosby Defends His Silence: I Don't Have to "Answer to Innuendos"
The embattled star spoke before his Friday show about the sexual abuse allegations against him
Prior to performing at his sold-out comedy show Friday in Florida, Bill Cosby explained to a reporter why he hasn't been commenting on the numerous sexual assault allegations against him.
"I know people are tired of me not saying anything, but a guy doesn't have to answer to innuendos," Cosby told Florida Today backstage before his show at the King Center in Melbourne, Fla. "People should fact-check. People shouldn't have to go through that and shouldn't answer to innuendos."
Cosby, whose scheduled Las Vegas performance on Nov. 28 has been canceled, also addressed the topic of radio DJs having offered payment to any guests who disrupted Friday's show.
"The thing is, these people are prodding and pushing people and asking people to have a frat house mentality," the legendary comedian said. "Now suppose someone brings a weapon or decided to do more foolishness." Cosby said that this is "not good for anyone."
He compared potential protesters at his show to those at a civil rights march, saying: "When you go to a civil rights march or something like that, at least there are meetings and some organization to it and people understand how to behave. There may be people coming to the show that don't know exactly what to do; there is no organization to it all."
Cosby has faced numerous sexual assault claims in recent weeks, as two new accusers made allegations Friday. Cosby had previously declined to comment on the string of allegations, although Cosby attorney Marty Singer released a statement Friday, dismissing the claims as "unsubstantiated, fantastical stories" and questioning why the women had waited so many years to come forward.
Video footage from his Friday show can be seen below.