Billboard Music Awards Performances Sell Nearly 1 Million Downloads
David Guetta, Selena Gomez and Icona Pop were among the artists whose songs saw sales gains in the tracking week ending May 26.
The 2013 Billboard Music Awards continue to pump sales gains, as the latest charts reflect the first full week of impact after the May 19 show.
In the tracking week ending May 26, the 19 songs performed on the ABC broadcast sold a combined 973,000 downloads according to Nielsen SoundScan -- marking a big 15 percent gain compared to the previous frame. It's an impressive jump, considering that overall song sales rose by less than 1 percent for the week.
Of the BBMA-performed songs, the largest percentage gain is tallied by David Guetta's "Play Hard," featuring Ne-Yo & Akon, which garnered a 313 percent rise to 48,000 downloads (up from 12,000). The biggest seller was Selena Gomez's "Come & Get It," which moved 171,000 downloads last week (up 4 percent) -- its best sales week yet. The next-largest seller was Icona Pop's "I Love It," featuring Charli XCX, moving 134,000 (up 4 percent) for its second-biggest frame.
Some notable sales gains for performers' albums were earned last week as well, including a 24 percent hike for Icon award winner Prince's Purple Rain soundtrack (2,000 sold).
Other gainers: Pitbull's Global Warming (up 81 percent, 122-61 on the Billboard 200), Ed Sheeran's + (up 39 percent, 56-35), Guetta's Nothing But the Beat (up 32 percent, a re-entry at No. 178), Prince's The Very Best of Prince (up 12 percent, 178-149), the Band Perry's The Band Perry (up 23 percent, 179-133), Taylor Swift's Red (up 17 percent, 37-30), Kacey Musgraves' Same Trailer Different Park (up 11 percent, 76-63), will.i.am's #willPOWER (up 6 percent, 105-103) and Icona Pop's Iconic EP (up 5 percent, a re-entry at No. 193).
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws