Box Office Milestone: 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire' Becomes Top 2013 Release in North America
The Jennifer Lawrence sequel has grossed $409.4 million in North America, edging past "Iron Man 3."
Lionsgate's The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is finally full.
On Thursday, the sequel edged past Iron Man 3 to become the highest-grossing film released in 2013 at the North American box office. Catching Fire has taken in $409.4 million, compared to $409 million for Iron Man 3.
However, Disney and Marvel Studios' Iron Man 3 isn't in danger of losing its No. 1 position worldwide among 2013 releases, having grossed $1.2 billion globally. Catching Fire's worldwide gross as it winds down is roughly $830 million.
The first Hunger Games took in $408 million domestically and $691.2 million globally. Lionsgate says its the first time in history that the first two installments in a franchise both took in north of $400 million in North America. Also, it's the first time since 2008 that a 2D title has topped the yearly domestic chart.
"The Hunger Games franchise continues to evolve into a truly global phenomenon," said Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer. "The success of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is a testament to the vision of author Suzanne Collins, the sure hand of director Francis Lawrence, the brilliant performances of a remarkably talented cast led by the amazing Jennifer Lawrence, and superb execution by our motion picture production, marketing and distribution teams."
The franchise will be back in theaters Nov. 21, 2014, with The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress