Box Office Milestone: 'Iron Man 3' Hits $1 Billion Worldwide
The Disney and Marvel Studios tentpole also jumps the $300 million mark at the domestic box office.
Taking only 22 days, Shane Black's Iron Man 3 hit $1 billion in worldwide ticket sales on Thursday to claim No. 16 on the list of all-time highest-grossing films.
In addition, Iron Man 3 crossed the $300 million mark at the domestic box office on Wednesday.
The Disney and Marvel Studios tentpole has earned $698.9 million internationally and $301.9 million in North America.
In terms of global standing, Iron Man 3 has now surpassed Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End ($963 million), Jurassic Park ($967 million) and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone ($975 million).
After North America, Iron Man 3 has taken in the most in China ($104 million), followed by Korea ($55.6 million), U.K. ($49.7 million), Mexico ($43.6 million) and Russia ($40.2 million).
Iron Man 3 faces competition this weekend in North America and select territories from Star Trek Into Darkness, which opens Thursday domestically. And on Wednesday, Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby narrowly edged past Iron Man 3 ($3.9 million versus $3.5 million) to top the domestic chart. Gatsby has earned $63.3 million in its first six days.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack