CNN's Omar Jimenez Arrested on Live TV While Covering Minneapolis Protests

"A black reporter from CNN was arrested while legally covering the protests in Minneapolis. A white reporter also on the ground was not," the news network tweeted.

CNN reporter Omar Jimenez and his crew were on Friday arrested on live TV while covering protests in Minneapolis.

The arrests came amid continued protests in Minnesota — and other parts of the country — following the death of George Floyd, a black man, in police custody.

Jimenez "has been taken into police custody during a live broadcast at the site of the protests in Minneapolis, after clearly identifying himself to officers," CNN said. The network also reported that Jimenez's producer and a photojournalist were also detained by state police.

In a tweet, the news network, owned by AT&T's WarnerMedia, highlighted: "A black reporter from CNN was arrested while legally covering the protests in Minneapolis. A white reporter also on the ground was not."

In an online post, the network added: "CNN's Josh Campbell, who also was in the area but not standing with the on-air crew, said he, too, was approached by police, but was allowed to remain." The post quotes Campbell as saying: "I identified myself ... they said, 'OK, you're permitted to be in the area.' I was treated much differently than [Jimenez] was."

In a CNN video of the arrest, the reporter is seen reporting about another arrest on the scene, saying: "We have got one person being arrested here," before telling his colleagues in the studio: "We are speaking with state patrol now. Give us a second, guys." Jimenez then addresses police, saying: "We can move back to where you like here. We are live on the air at the moment. This is the four of us, we are one team. Just put us back where you want us. We are getting out of your way. Just let us know."

The reporter then continues his report, with one police officer putting his hand on Jimenez's arm. Another member of the police team then says to him: "You are under arrest," leading the reporter to ask "do you mind telling me why I am under arrest?" The police then handcuff Jimenez and lead him away.

Jimenez was arrested around 5 a.m. local time. Police told the crew they were being detained because they were told to move and didn't, a member of the crew told the network. After the photojournalist was arrested, his camera was set on the ground but continued to transmit live images.

Jimenez said on earlier in the night: "Dramatic scenes have unfolded in Minneapolis after the police arrived on the scene and clashed with protesters. It was the first time authorities had been seen on the scene in more than an hour. The police officers, some in riot gear, immediately launched into action, using pepper spray and batons to disperse crowds near the police station. Police were seen shoving at least one person, while protesters responded by throwing projectiles at the officers as others fled the site."

Later Friday morning, CNN tweeted that Jimenez and his crew have been released. The network also reported that Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz told CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker that he deeply apologizes for what happened.

After his release, around 6 a.m. local time, Jimenez returned to the air and said he had been treated well after he was led away.

"We're doing OK, now. There were a few uneasy moments there," Jimenez said.

The death of the unarmed Floyd led to the firing of four Minneapolis police officers. Floyd's family says they want murder charges against them.

Protesters in Minneapolis set a police precinct building on fire. Media reports said authorities arrived on the scene just after 3:30 a.m. local time.

5:30 a.m. This story has been updated with Jimenez being released.