Critics' Choice Awards: 9 Things the TV Cameras Missed
Margot Robbie table-hopped, brothers Luke Hemsworth and Chris Hemsworth popped champagne, and an Elisabeth Moss reunion.
The cameras at the Critics’ Choice Awards caught all the action onstage, but there was just as much going on in the audience and backstage. Fortunately, The Hollywood Reporter was there to fill you in on what didn’t make it to air.
1. Rachel Brosnahan didn’t get to grab a bite to eat before heading to the show at the Barker Hanger in Santa Monica, so she made a beeline to the Yogurtland station at the entryway for a cup of strawberry froyo topped with gummy bears. “I’m starving,” she told THR. Six-year-old Brooklynn Prince celebrated her best young actress win with a serving of strawberry and piña colada froyo.
Wonder’s Jacob Tremblay first met Prince on the blue carpet, but then made sure to congratulate her after she beat him to win their category.
Does it get any cuter than this? WONDER’s Jacob Tremblay came over to congratulate THE FLORIDA PROJECT’s Brooklynn Prince after she beat him to win the best young actor/actress Critics’ Choice Award pic.twitter.com/pNW2mpzDus— Scott Feinberg (@ScottFeinberg) January 12, 2018
Tremblay also met… Angelina Jolie!
And Gal Gadot and Chris Hemsworth!
2. The Moet champagne was flowing. Ty Burrell poured glasses for his tablemates while Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman were part of a group toast at their table. And Luke Hemsworth was spotted carrying a fresh bottle to his table, where he sat with his brother Chris Hemsworth.
3. Best actress in a comedy winner Margot Robbie table-hopped during commercial breaks. First, THR saw her looking at photos on Black-ish star Jennifer Lewis’ phone with her I, Tonya co-star Allison Janney. Then the Suicide Squad star bent down to have an animated conversation with Saoirse Ronan and her Lady Bird director-writer, Greta Gerwig.
4. Nicole Kidman urgently grabbed a bottle of Fiji Water backstage before heading back to her seat after picking up the award for best actress in a limited series for her work in Big Little Lies.
5. While many of the members of the Broadcast Film Critics Association and Broadcast Television Journalists Association — the two groups that put on the Critics’ Choice Awards — were tripping over themselves to get photos with nominees and winners, even the stars got into the selfie game. Julianne Nicholson asked for one with Jim Gaffigan while 11-year-old Gifted star Mckenna Grace snapped pics with Guillermo del Toro and Get Out’s Daniel Kaluuya.
6. Armie Hammer joked to Timothée Chalamet when they bumped into each other outside the gala, “F—k off!” before Hammer headed to “grab some yogurt.” The Yogurtland station proved to be very popular.
7. Adam Sandler complimented David Harbour on his acceptance speech (“It was so great,” he said) while the Stranger Things star held hands at his table with his girlfriend, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them actress Alison Sudol.
8. Sally Hawkins gushed over Gal Gadot backstage as the Wonder Woman star was being escorted out the back to her car at the end of the award ceremony.
9. Elisabeth Moss shouted for actor Michael Zegen backstage after his show The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel picked up the award for best comedy series. “It’s f—king awesome!,” said Moss, who earlier in the evening was named best actress in a drama series. “I love it.”