'Details' Magazine Is Shuttering
The December issue will be the last of the Conde Nast-owned men's style publication.
Another one bites the dust.
Conde Nast announced Wednesday that the December 2015/January 2016 issue of Details magazine will be the publication's last. Just earlier this summer, Lucky magazine — another of Conde Nast's once-popular titles — was shuttered by BeachMint, which bought the glossy in 2014.
Read more Tory Burch Launches Fellowship Event
With regards to the shuttering of Details, Conde Nast president and incoming CEO Bob Sauerberg told the Wall Street Journal that "it's been a tough few months," adding, "Consumers love the magazine. It's not fair and it's not right."
According to WWD, Details.com will continue to operate before slowly transitioning to GQStyle.com in the coming months. "We have decided to build on the success and massive overall audience of GQ as our men’s brand, and will be expanding the business through their GQ Style franchise," said Sauerberg in a memo to staff. "GQ Style, which has consistently been popular among upscale millennials and luxury advertisers, alike, will significantly expand its digital presence and also increase to a quarterly print schedule.”
In addition to Details' demise, Sauerberg announced that Self magazine will let go publisher Mary Murcko, and that the glossy will now report to Glamour's publisher, Connie Anne Phillips.
The news that the men's style magazine, which was first launched in 1982, will be shuttered comes just weeks after a massive magazine musical chairs at the publisher. Allure's founding editor-in-chief of 25 years was replaced by former Nylon editor-in-chief Michelle Lee, while Teen Vogue condensed its ad sales division under Vogue's publisher.
Overall, men's fashion magazines have also shown signs of struggle. This past month, GQ laid off six staff members, while Maxim magazine underwent its second redesign in the span of one year — ousting its editor-in-chief in the process in favor of former GQ Style Guy, Glenn O'Brien.