Summer Getaways: 4 Eco-Friendly Luxury Cars
Before hitting the road, splurge on a new car that saves on gas and isn't a bland econobox.
This story first appeared in the July 26 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
HYBRID ► LEXUS LS 600H L
The ne plus ultra of the Lexus line (priced from $119,910) is perfect for a luxurious road trip. The long wheelbase LS is five inches longer than the standard LS, which means plenty of room to stretch out. Opt for the Ottoman Seating Package with the built-in Shiatsu massage, rear-seat entertainment system and a rear-seat passenger-side foldout footrest. While the LS 600h L may function best when someone drives you, the 438 horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 hybrid delivers a 0-to-60 time of 5.5 seconds and a 19 mpg city, 23 mpg highway fuel economy, which makes for quite a fun drive.
DIESEL ► 2013 PORSCHE CAYENNE DIESEL
Perfect to haul whatever you throw inside its luxe interior, the Cayenne Diesel (priced from $56,600) is one great road-trip SUV. The diesel-powered Cayenne gets 20 mpg city, 29 highway, which betters even the Cayenne S Hybrid rated at 20/24. But the beauty is the power and torque from the diesel engine. Gone are the days of black smoke and loud engine noise because diesel now is good enough even for the exacting standards of Stuttgart's finest.
ELECTRIC ► TESLA MODEL S
It seems that every time you look in your rearview mirror in L.A., there's a Tesla Model S (priced from $63,570, with a $7,500 federal tax credit) -- and not just because Tesla makes the only mass-produced luxury electric. The Model S is a damn fine car -- sporty and fun to drive. If your road trip takes you from L.A. to San Francisco or Las Vegas, there's no need to suffer from range anxiety as Tesla has installed "Supercharger" stations along the way where you can top up for an extra 200 miles' range in about 30 minutes.
REGULAR GAS ► 2013 JAGUAR XF 2.0L
Jaguar debuted a new engine -- a 240 horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder -- for 2013. The Turbo 4-equipped XF is mated to a sleek eight-speed automatic transmission with Jaguar Sequential Shift, which provides British performance and luxury without a resource-squandering V-8 engine. With 19 mpg city and 30 highway, a sexy and sinuous design and all-around drivability, the XF (priced from $46,975) may be the perfect road-trip sedan.
Read about more summer getaways below:
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofía Vergara Reveals Who She Dresses Up For (VIDEO)
- Before The Beat Drops: Heavy English's 'Black Dog' Brings Back Gritty, Bluesy Rock 'N' Roll
- Watch The First Promo For Fox's Controversial New Reality Dating Show 'I Wanna Marry Harry'
- Chelsea Handler Breaks Silence On That Infamous Instagram Photo And Why Network TV Isn't For Her
- Did You Catch the Coen Brothers Easter Egg in Fargo?
- Julie Klausner Talks to Billy Eichner About Billy on the Street, Mayim Bialik, and Getting Fuse to Agree to ‘Ask a Squirter’
- Watch Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and NBA Stars Live-Read Space Jam
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues